MALE (THE PROSPECTIVE HUSBAND)
Conditions of the Husband
- Al – Baqarah [2:221]; meaning: do not marry idolatresses unless they believe; a
believing woman is better than an idolatress, even if you like her. Nor shall you give
your daughters in marriage to idolatrous men, unless they believe. A believing man .is
better than an idolater, even if you like him. These invite to Hell, while Allah invites to
Paradise and forgiveness, as He wills. He clarifies His revelations for the people, that
they may take heed.
- Section 5 of IFLTE 2017 provides for the criterion for deciding whether a person is a
Muslim or not. This section provides that for the purposes of this Enactment any
question arises as to whether a person is a Muslim, that question shall be decided
according to the criterion of general reputation, without making any attempt to question
the faith, beliefs, conduct, behaviour, character, acts, or omissions of that person.
- Section of the same Enactment states about the persons of other religions. Section
10(1) provides that no man shall marry a non-Muslim except a Kitabiyah.
(b) Not within ihram haji or umrah
- Nubaih b. Wahb reported: Umar b. Ubaidullah b. Ma’mar sent me to Aban b. Uthman as
he wanted to make the proposal of the marriage of his son with the daughter of Shaiba
b. Uthman.He (Aban b. Uthman) was at that time (busy) in the season of Pilgrimage.He
said: I deem him to be a man of the desert (for it is a common thing) that a Muhrim can
neither marry, nor is he allowed to be married to anyone.It is Uthman (b.Affan) who
reported this to us from Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him). (Sahih Muslim)
- Nabaih b. Wahb reported that Umar b. ‘Ubaidullah b. Ma’mar intended to marry his son
Talha with the daughter of Shaiba b. Jubair during the Pilgrimage. Aban b. Uthman was
at that time the Amir of Pilgrims.So he (‘Umar b. Ubaidullah) sent someone (as a
messenger) to Aban saying: I intend to marry Talha b. ‘Umar and I earnestly desire you
to be present there (in this ceremony of marriage).Aban said to him: I find you a block-
headed ‘Iraqi. I heard ‘Uthman b. ‘Affan say that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him)
said: A Muhrim should not marry. (Sahih Muslim)
(c) A specific man (ta’yin)
(d) Not having 4 wives at the same time.
- It is based on hadith that Harith bin Qais reported that: “I embraced Islam while I had 8
wives. I mentioned it to the Prophet. And the Prophet SAW said: ‘select 4 of them’”.
- Section 12 of the IFLTE 2017 list down the minimum marriageable age. This section
states that a marriage shall not be recognized and shall not be registered under this
Enactment unless both parties to the marriage have consented thereto.
(f) Minimum age for marriage
- Section 8 of the IFLTE 2017 provides for minimum age for marriage, where it states that
no marriage may be solemnized under this Enactment where either the man is under the
age of eighteen or the woman is under the age of sixteen except where the Syariah
Judge has granted his permission in writing in certain circumstances.